The South African Chemical Institute
Promoting chemistry, chemists, the chemical industry
Chemistry - our key to the future!
The SACI Mission: To look after and represent the interest of chemists in South Africa
Benefits of Belonging to SACI
1. SACI is the only body in South Africa which is concerned solely with the promotion of the interests of chemistry and chemists. This involves representation on SACNASP, NSTF/SETAG, CHIETA and other government and non-government organizations.
2. SACI has both a geographical (Gauteng, Western Cape, Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal) and a discipline-based structure. The eleven sections include analytical, chromatography, environmental, industrial, inorganic, organic and physical chemistry, electrochemistry, chemical education, ChromSA and SAAMS.
3. Membership is open to all those with qualifications in chemistry or have an interest in chemistry.
4. SACI holds a Convention every two years. Many of the sections also hold regular biennial specialist conferences.
5. Reduced registration fees apply for SACI members to SACI-sponsored conferences and workshops.
6. Membership of SACI entitles chemists to join IUPAC, and enjoy access to IUPAC publications and services.
7. SACI publishes an electronic research journal, the South African Journal of Chemistry.
8. SACI makes annual awards recognizing outstanding achievements by chemists.
9. SACI fosters and encourages student participation in events of interest to chemists, such as Young Chemists' Events, research colloquia, postgraduate symposia etc.
10. SACI publishes a monthly newsletter, which reports news and events of interest to chemists.
11. SACI has links with other related institutions and associations, for example the South African Institution of Chemical Engineers, the Chemical and Allied Industries Association and the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC).
12. Membership of SACI gives benefits when attending RSC events.
13. SACI carries out an annual salary survey.